Assisting People with Special Needs

Advocacy, Planning and Support Services (APSS)

Advocacy, Planning and Support Services (APSS) provides a range of services to support individuals with developmental disabilities and their families to achieve success in their self-determined goals. Services include:

  • Advocacy;
  • Consultation;
  • Counselling;
  • Trusteeships;
  • Life planning;
  • Referral to appropriate resources;
  • Case management/service coordination;
  • Information about community resources; and
  • Specialized group counselling programs;

There is no fee for this service as funding is provided through the Ministry of Community and Social Services.


Tel-Check Program provides a daily telephone call to seniors and persons with disabilities who live alone.  It offers emotional support and helps to ensure the individual’s safety. Calls are made 365 days a year.

There is no fee for this service as the Sarnia-Lambton United Way and the LHIN provide the financial support.  


Individualized Passport funding is provided by the Ministry of Community and Social Services, Passport is designed to enhance opportunities for individuals who have a developmental disability, have left school and are seeking supports to help them participate more fully in the community.

Family Counselling Centre offers administrative support to individuals in receipt of Passport funding. This support can include assistance in:

  • Developing a plan for community opportunities
  • Selecting a Support Worker
  • Providing information about and/or making a referral to community resources, and
  • Management and tracking of Passport funding.

To find out more about Family Counselling’s Passport service, please call: 519-336-0120. To apply for adult developmental services, including Passport, contact Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) at 1-800-437-6797.

Special Services At Home (SSAH)

Special Services At Home (SSAH) makes it easier for people with disabilities to live at home with their families or in the community.

The service, which is funded through the Ministry of Community and Social Services, is for children under 18 years of age who have a physical or developmental disability.

SSAH provides funding for in-home supports / services that are not available elsewhere in the community.  An example of this support is parent relief or respite so that parents have time for their own needs or the needs of others in the family.  There is no fee for this service.

As well, The Lambton Kent Teen Transition Committee has developed this easy-to-use resource providing information for youth with disabilities about transitioning to adulthood: Teen Transitions

Trusteeship Services  

The Trusteeship Services Program provides trusteeship services in the community to prevent homelessness due to non-payment of rent, the inability to budget, poor problem-solving skills, addictions and/or mental health issues. Participation in the Program is strictly on a voluntary basis.